ISLAND HARVEST has the following exciting full-time position available.
Position Description: This individual will work with Island Harvest’s Nutrition Pathways program to provide nutrition education, counselling and workshops to food insecure clients at one of our partner community-based health centers. Incumbent will split time between the community-based health center and Island Harvest’s Melville office.
- Meet with clients, who screen positive for food insecurity, in person or utilizing telehealth, at our partner community-based health centers to discuss healthy food options/meal plans based on their health conditions and food access, order and distribute food, and provide linkages to community resources.
- Help to set up and maintain an onsite, health-conscious food pantry.
- Offer nutrition and cooking demonstration workshops to health center clients.
- Continue to meet with clients weekly or bi-weekly for 12 weeks, to ensure they have access to food and offer additional nutritional counseling and community resources.
- Collaborate closely with Island Harvest staff to understand and offer available Island Harvest services to clients.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Must be a Registered Dietician Nutritionist
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Prior work or volunteer experience in community or public health nutrition, a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Microsoft Office
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) is a plus.
In addition to the above, candidates must:
- Be a self-starter who can both take direction and contribute ideas.
- Be able to work independently on projects and meet deadlines.
- Maintain appropriate records.
- Must exhibit a positive, “can do” attitude.
- Have the capability to work well on their own while still being a team-player.
- Be willing to work occasional nights and/or weekends, as needed.
- Be willing to travel, as necessary.
- Be able to carry up to 30 pounds.
Salary: $26 per hour
To be considered for this position please submit your resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls or walk-in, please. No relocation expenses.
ISLAND HARVEST IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
About Island Harvest: Island Harvest serves as the bridge between those who have surplus food and those who need it, supplying 500 community-based nonprofit organizations on Long Island with critical food support to help stem the advancing tide of hunger in our communities. Island Harvest is a member of Feeding America, the largest hunger-relief organization in the country. In support of our mission to end hunger and reduce food waste on Long Island, Island Harvest is actively involved in educational and hunger awareness programs to inform the public about the insidious, but often unrecognized, problem of hunger here, in one of the wealthiest regions of the country, and how individuals, businesses, schools and commercial food establishments can make a difference.