No Kid Hungry Youth Ambassador
Location: 126 Spagnoli Road, Melville NY 11747
No child should grow up hungry in America. By connecting kids in need with nutritious food, the No Kid Hungry campaign surrounds children with healthy food where they live, learn and play.
We’re ending childhood hunger by connecting kids to effective nutrition programs like school breakfast and summer meals. This work is accomplished through the No Kid Hungry network, made up of private citizens, public officials, nonprofits, business leaders and others providing innovative hunger solutions in their communities. These public-private partnerships work together to identify and eliminate the barriers that may prevent children from accessing existing food and nutrition resources.
Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry Campaign has created a program to involve college-aged Youth Ambassadors in the fight against childhood hunger by working with one of our community partners.
For the summer program, Island Harvest will host one (1) Youth Ambassador to work on initiatives related to the alleviation of childhood hunger.
- Monitor up to 7 Summer Food Service Program sites to ensure compliance with New York State rules & regulations (50%)
- Support summer meals sponsor outreach (for open sites) to improve services and expand participation (20%)
- Incorporate Island Harvest programs into Summer Food Service Program sites including nutrition education and SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) outreach and assistance (10%)
- Assist in development of Advocacy and Awareness activities (may include social media, outreach, visits to sites, and storytelling) (10%)
- Train site personnel on rules and regulations of the Summer Food Service Program (5%)
- /Admin (5%)
- Assist in planning outreach campaign and kick-off events for open sites
- Begin planning advocacy and awareness campaign
- Provide Island Harvest services including nutrition education, SNAP outreach and referrals for community resources
- Participate in various trainings including Summer Food Service Program, Food Safety, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, and basic Nutrition Education.
No Kid Hungry seeks enthusiastic college students to join our program as Youth Ambassadors.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A great attitude and willingness to work on all kinds of projects
- Interest in hunger issues
- Commitment to working with diverse communities
- Reliability, responsibility, and a good work ethic
- Good customer service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently
- Familiarity with social media
- Use of personal laptop and mobile phone preferred
- Reliable access to a vehicle
Youth Ambassadors will receive a stipend of no more than $6000 for over the course of the summer, for a completion of 360 hours over 10 weeks, with one week’s paid vacation. The program starts June 05, 2022 and ends August 11, 2022.
Youth Ambassadors will report to a national No Kid Hungry staff member, and an Island Harvest staff member. Ambassadors will participate in weekly conference calls, complete a weekly report, and attend online training sessions throughout their term.
Interested applicants should apply online at http://nokidhungry.org/youth-ambassadors.