Worried About Liability?
There’s no danger in donating food to Island Harvest. Both New York State and the federal government have laws protecting donors from liability. And Island Harvest asks all recipients to sign an agreement accepting food “as is,” which further limits liability. Read both laws. (when they click, they should good to Food Safety Law see below)
Island Harvest Practices Food Safety
At Island Harvest we take our responsibility to you and the people we serve very seriously. Donating food to Island Harvest isn’t only smart, it’s safe.
- All of our drivers are trained to handle food safely.
- Our trucks are refrigerated to keep food at safe temperatures.
- We train all recipient agencies in safe food preparation and handling.
- Agency kitchens are evaluated for their food safety practices.
- Island Harvest’s staff includes a registered dietitian who make food safety a paramount concern.