Food Procurement Coordinator
The employees at Island Harvest represent a dedicated and diverse group of people who each year work together to help feed people at risk of going hungry on Long Island.
Island Harvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal employment has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Island Harvest. All our employment policies including those concerning recruitment and selection are based on ability and merit, without regard to an applicant’s age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, military status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other category or status protected by law. It is the policy of the Company to make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ disabilities.
FOOD PROCUREMENT COODINATOR
Island Harvest is seeking a full-time Food Procurement Coordinator who is highly motivated by Island Harvest’s mission and goal to rescue and deliver 11 million pounds of food in 2018. The main job function will be to independently, manage data analysis and integrity to help shape the organization’s food sourcing strategy. The candidate will take ownership of a complex reforecast and annual budget process. The candidate will also assist in finding new sources of excess food regionally and provide overlapping coverage for inbound freight scheduling and work with third-party trucking carriers.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Food Sourcing Strategy & Data Analysis: Create and maintain the annual, reforecast and quarterly Food Sourcing Projection Model. Innovates new and efficient ways of analyzing data and using data to inform strategic decisions. Analyzes the Food Sourcing team data, strategic and budgetary goals, and creates reports and presentations for VP of Operations and Sr. team as needed.
Data/Budget integrity: Oversees data/budget integrity by reconciling against Financial and Operations Analysis reports as well as in-house software systems. Accurately enters information into the PO and Inventory Management System and verifies the accuracy post-receipt, including the classification types, and load verification of food types in over 300 inventory items. Troubleshoots data projects with in-house IT specialist, as well as Operations Analysis. Supports data entry, collection and reconciliation of receipts and invoices.
Procurement & Logistics: Supports the procurement and logistics of 80% of total departmental pounds with our outside logistic company, including cost negotiations, program fulfillment and freight arrangements.
Purchasing – Collaborate with the Programs department and inventory control to develop metrics for gauging inventory level needs and then maintaining those levels throughout the year for all programs. Take the lead in creating ways to manage hard to move or slow-moving stock with Logistics & Agency Relations. Collaborate with the Nutritionist and Programs Dept. to ensure clarity of the specifications and expectations of the company’s nutrition and purchasing expectations.
Donor stewardship: Develop and cull food donor relationships from across the entire supply chain (Feeding America, inter-member food banks within the network, farmers, wholesalers, produce brokers. distributors and manufacturers) in an effort to meet poundage goals.
The ideal candidate should have the following:
- 2+ years of data gathering/analysis, supply chain management or Food and Beverage purchasing.
- Excellent Excel skills mandatory (including writing complex formulas, macros and goal seek, prior experience in building and using Excel-based decision models is preferred)
- Strong ability to create projection modeling and budget planning with multiple variables
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with skills to set priorities and make time-bound decisions
- Adaptability to small team environment where transparency, communication and teamwork are essential
- Ability to use multiple software platforms a plus (including Microsoft Office Suite, Donor Perfect, Primarius)
- Availability requirements: Weekdays, 9am to 5pm. Some night and weekend work as necessary
- Analytical Skills: to determine the best deals for the company and to evaluate the many pros and cons, based on price, quality, speed of delivery and other factors.
- Decision-Making Skills: to use the information gathered by yourself to make decisions on behalf of the company.
- Math Skills: Basic math skills are needed to analyze prices and get the best deals possible.
- Negotiating Skills: will be working with suppliers to create the best deals. Negotiating skills will help create those deals.
To be considered for this position please submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com. Submissions without salary requirements will not be considered. No phone calls or walk-in, please. No relocation expenses.
ISLAND HARVEST IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
About Island Harvest: Island Harvest serves as the bridge between those who have surplus food and those who need it, supplying 500 community-based nonprofit organizations on Long Island with critical food support to help stem the advancing tide of hunger in our communities. Island Harvest is a member of Feeding America, the largest hunger-relief organization in the country. In support of our mission to end hunger and reduce food waste on Long Island, Island Harvest is actively involved in educational and hunger awareness programs to inform the public about the insidious, but often unrecognized, problem of hunger here, in one of the wealthiest regions of the country, and how individuals, businesses, schools and commercial food establishments can make a difference.