ISLAND HARVEST has the following exciting part-time position available:
NUTRITION COORDINATOR (Bi-Lingual – English/Spanish)
Position Description: The incumbent will work with Island Harvest’s Nutrition Pathways Program to implement a Healthy Food Pantry Program and a Nutrition Education/Supermarket tour initiative with our member agencies. The position will require collaboration with Island Harvest food pantry partners to establish a more nutritious food environment and to provide food pantry clients with the knowledge and skills necessary to make healthier food choices. The incumbent will also work with Island Harvest member agencies to provide nutrition education and health-conscious supermarket tours.
This part-time position works 3 days (24 hours) per week and is located in our Melville Office, however the incumbent will spend 2 days per week at our member agency sites in Nassau and Suffolk counties.
- Assist in the development of a model Healthy Food Pantry resource kit and program rollout guidelines.
- Partner with a select number of Island Harvest food pantries to pilot the Healthy Food Pantry Initiative Program.
- Assist in implementation and maintenance of healthy food pantry systems at member agency sites.
- Offer nutrition and cooking demonstration workshops to food pantry clients, including agencies not participating in the Healthy Food Pantry Program Initiative.
- Schedule and conduct supermarket tours with Island Harvest member agency program participants.
- Assist member agencies in addressing social determinants of health beyond food security by collaborating closely with Island Harvest Community Empowerment staff.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Must be a Registered Dietician Nutritionist
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Prior work or volunteer experience in community or public health nutrition, a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) required.
In addition to the above, candidates must:
- Be a self-starter who can both take direction and contribute ideas.
- Be able to work independently on projects and meet deadlines.
- Maintain appropriate records.
- Must exhibit a positive, “can do” attitude.
- Have the capability to work well on their own while still being a team-player.
- Be willing to work occasional nights and/or weekends, as needed.
- Be willing to travel, as necessary.
- Be able to carry up to 30 pounds.
To be considered for this position please submit your resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls or walk-in, please. No relocation expenses.
ISLAND HARVEST IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
About Island Harvest: Island Harvest serves as the bridge between those who have surplus food and those who need it, supplying 500 community-based nonprofit organizations on Long Island with critical food support to help stem the advancing tide of hunger in our communities. Island Harvest is a member of Feeding America, the largest hunger-relief organization in the country. In support of our mission to end hunger and reduce food waste on Long Island, Island Harvest is actively involved in educational and hunger awareness programs to inform the public about the insidious, but often unrecognized, problem of hunger here, in one of the wealthiest regions of the country, and how individuals, businesses, schools and commercial food establishments can make a difference.