Thank you for joining Island Harvest in our mission of ending hunger and reducing food waste on Long Island.
Learn more about how to host a Food Drive
or Virtual Food Drive
in your community
Each day scores of trained Island Harvest volunteers pick up nutritious surplus food from over 800 commercial donors and deliver it to our non-profit member agencies.Among those recipients are child care centers, senior citizen programs, emergency food pantries, soup kitchens, temporary housing for families in transition, and community residences for people with mental disabilities or chronic illness.
We believe we have made the food donation process as easy and rewarding as possible.Some of the benefits include:
- Monthly supplies (1/2 size aluminum trays, plastic tubs, and food-grade bags) provided by Island Harvest to package donated food
- Possible tax deduction -- consult your tax advisor
- Receipts indicating the quantity and type of food donated. They are filled out at time of pickup by trained Island Harvest volunteers.
- Protection under the federal and state Good Samaritan Laws
- A possible decrease in your carting costs
- Making it possible for our non-profit agencies to receive nutritious surplus food at no cost.This allows them to redirect funds to other aspects crucial to their operation.
- Click to see information on the Good Samaritan Laws
Planning a Wedding or Bar/Bat Mitzvah? Here are some creative ways to incorporate Island Harvest. Check out ideas for Life Cycle Events
If you have any questions please contact us at (631) 873-4775. From the staff at Island Harvest and the agencies we serve, thank you for partnering with us to end hunger and reduce food waste on Long Island.We look forward to working with you.
Migdalia Otero C.F.R.
Vice President of Operations and Food Sourcing