Volunteer & Community Relations Supervisor
The employees at Island Harvest represent a dedicated and diverse group working together to help feed people at risk of going hungry on Long Island each year.
Island Harvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal employment has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Island Harvest. All our employment policies including those concerning recruitment and selection are based on ability and merit, without regard to an applicant’s age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, military status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other category or status protected by law. It is the policy of the Company to make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ disabilities.
VOLUNTEER AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS SUPERVISOR
Position Summary: Responsible for overall coordination of volunteer programs to include recruitment, orientation, training and recognition, to insure efficient staffing of Island Harvest’s programs and events.
- Recruit volunteers and maintain records and profiles.
- Orient volunteers as Island Harvest’s mission and various programs.
- Assure proper training of volunteers to include specifics of jobs and safety concerns.
- Work shoulder to shoulder with volunteers as necessary.
- Develop and maintain volunteer recognition program, both within Island Harvest and seek opportunities to nominate volunteers for community recognition.
- Create and maintain Island Harvest’s volunteer schedules for all departments and events. Work with all Island Harvest personnel for efficient staffing of various programs and events.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or a related field of study, or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years of volunteer management or human resources, preferably with a non-profit organization.
- Excellent speaking, writing, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Basic concepts of volunteerism.
- Some development experience would be a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word).
In addition to the above, candidates must:
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Have excellent organizational skills.
- Thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Be a self-starter who can both take direction and contribute ideas.
- Be able to work independently on projects and meet deadlines.
- Maintain appropriate records.
- Have the capability to work well on their own while still being a team-player.
- Be willing to work early mornings, nights and/or weekends, as needed.
- Be willing to travel throughout the region, as necessary.
- Be able to carry up to 30 pounds
To be considered for this position please send your resume and salary requirements to Randy Rosenberg at email@example.com. No phone calls or walk-in, please.
Island Harvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About Island Harvest: Island Harvest serves as the bridge between those who have surplus food and those who need it, supplying 500 community-based nonprofit organizations on Long Island with critical food support to help stem the advancing tide of hunger in our communities. Island Harvest is a member of Feeding America, the largest hunger-relief organization in the country. In support of our mission to end hunger and reduce food waste on Long Island, Island Harvest is actively involved in educational and hunger awareness programs to inform the public about the insidious, but often unrecognized, problem of hunger here, in one of the wealthiest regions of the country, and how individuals, businesses, schools and commercial food establishments can make a difference.