Bookkeeper/Finance & Administration Assistant
The employees at Island Harvest represent a dedicated and diverse group working together to help feed people at risk of going hungry on Long Island each year.
Island Harvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal employment has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Island Harvest. All our employment policies including those concerning recruitment and selection are based on ability and merit, without regard to an applicant’s age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, military status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other category or status protected by law. It is the policy of the Company to make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ disabilities.
BOOKKEEPER/FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANT
Position Summary: This position will perform accounts payable and cash receipts functions, as well as perform specific, basic accounting and finance functions necessary for the Department to meet its goals and obligations to the organization. In addition, this position will provide clerical support to the Vice President and staff of the Finance and Administration Department.
- Match all invoices received for payment with the appropriate Purchase Order.
- Ensure that each invoice has proper approval and coding.
- Follow up on discrepancies between invoices and purchase orders (outside of allowable threshold).
- Enter all invoices daily into the accounting system to prepare for payment.
- Reconcile vendor statements to accounting system.
- Record daily deposits/cash receipts and electronic donations into the accounting Software appropriately.
- Prepare financial reports and analysis as needed.
- Update budget schedules with data from purchases.
- Handle internal and external requests for information and data.
- Perform general clerical duties such as; filing, mailing, faxing, and photocopying.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- High School graduate or GED; Associates Degree preferred.
- 2 years of prior experience as a bookkeeper/administrative assistant in a Finance Department.
- Knowledge of basic office procedures
- Knowledge of basic accounting/finance principles
- Excellent speaking, writing and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word).
In addition to the above, candidates must:
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Be able to work with numbers for long periods of time.
- Have excellent organizational skills.
- Thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Be a self-starter who can both take direction and contribute ideas.
- Be able to work independently on projects and meet deadlines.
- Have the capability to work well on their own while still being a team-player.
- Be willing to work occasional early mornings, nights and/or weekends, as needed.
- Be able to carry up to 30 pounds
- Be able to travel between office, as needed.
To be considered for this position please send your resume and salary requirements to Randy Rosenberg at email@example.com. No phone calls or walk-in, please.
Island Harvest is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About Island Harvest: Island Harvest serves as the bridge between those who have surplus food and those who need it, supplying 500 community-based nonprofit organizations on Long Island with critical food support to help stem the advancing tide of hunger in our communities. Island Harvest is a member of Feeding America, the largest hunger-relief organization in the country. In support of our mission to end hunger and reduce food waste on Long Island, Island Harvest is actively involved in educational and hunger awareness programs to inform the public about the insidious, but often unrecognized, problem of hunger here, in one of the wealthiest regions of the country, and how individuals, businesses, schools and commercial food establishments can make a difference.